How to Get your Children Ready for their Portrait Session
It's time, once again, to think about Autumn portrait sessions. One of the things I'm often asked by my clients is, "How do I get my kids ready?"
While it's true having portraits taken can be stressful, with a little preparation they can turn out to be a lot of fun and a great way to spend some time together!
- Start by scheduling a time that will work for your children. You don't want your sitting to be in the middle of their naps or during a meal time. If your children are morning people, schedule your session early in the day, if they don't get moving until later, scheduled it then. Yes, bright, full, high-noon sun, isn't the best, but if your photographer knows mid-day is the only time that works for your children, generally, they can find a place that will work.
- Make sure your child's clothes are comfortable. I can't tell you how many kids have been miserable in a new outfit that's either too big, too small, or too scratchy.
- Bring snacks and drinks. This isn't the time to bring the grape juice and graham crackers. Think simple, water, fruit snacks and goldfish crackers. Don't rule out bribes as being a bad thing. A promise of a lollipop has often been the enticement a little one needs to "hold still" just a little bit longer!
- Come early. Let your child experience the environment. Give them a chance to move, skip and explore. Give them time to interact and become comfortable with their photographer.
- Finally, come with the idea to relax and have fun! The best smiles come from enjoying the experience and spending time together.
I hope you found these tips to be helpful. Our Autumn sessions are filling up. Please give us a call at 952 288-8617 to schedule your appointment. We have are currently running a Fall Special: One hour on location, with 1-11x14 print and its digital files, all for $125 (a $275 value).